19.12.09

seed arrival

My Herbs de Provence replacement seed order arrived today, proving again that Seeds of Change has a very reliable shipping service. Only three of the six packets were shipped, though. The Greek Oregano is on backorder, and I'm going to have to find another seed source for the rosemary and thyme. Apparently they are no longer available through Seeds of Change.
Tray 2 is now two-thirds complete, though, which is exciting. I planted six slots each of the Syriaca Zaatar Marjoram and Dukat Dill in the same section as the Pimientos de Padrón. I put the Garden Sage next to the pepper seeds, and in the center of the tray I replanted some tarragon. Only three of the tarragon seeds in tray 1 germinated, and I think it was because they didn't get warm enough. Their package says they need 70F and are supposed to be planted 1/4" deep. I just put them on the surface of the soil (they seemed so thin and delicate), and I know that the soil was at least ten degrees cooler than they needed. Hopefully they'll fare better in the warmer tray 2.
The tarragon is again supposed to be the first to germinate of the bunch at 5-7 days. The marjoram should be next (7-14 days), and then the sage and dill, requiring 10-14 and 14-21 days, respectively. Judging by past experience with the seedling heat mat, though, I would imagine they'll all have sprouted by the time I return from Christmas break. Hopefully my guest photographer and gardener will be able to capture and care for them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment