3.12.09

heat mat installed

So I made it to the local hydroponics store this evening and purchased a 20W Super Sprouter Seedling Heating Mat for $30. It's the same size as the seed flat (about 10" x 20") and claims to "warm the temperature of the rooting area 10-20F above the ambient air temperature." Since I think it's currently around 60F on that shelf, it seems it should work out well for the tomato plants germinating there.
I also would like to amend a previous post in which I stated that "the worst that could happen [in planting the tomato plants so early] is that they flower before it's warm enough for them to be taken outside and pollinated." I found out tonight at the hydroponics store that I seemingly know very little about pollination and which types of vegetables require pollination assistance (as in from various bees). Apparently, most types of tomato plants do not require cross-pollination and can pollinate themselves with the help of some shaking. For the more difficult species, pollination can be accomplished through vibrating the flowers in any of a number of ways (electric toothbrush, for example). I'm looking forward to reading more about pollination in general, and how it pertains to the plants I'll be growing in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment