2.2.10

transplant success, new herb seeds

The transplant operation on Sunday went really well.


On the top shelf of the new greenhouse in 3" diameter peat pots being illuminated by the new Quantum T5 Bad Boy are:

17 purple opal basil, 
11 Oregon Spring Bush tomato, 
8 Santiam tomato, 
8 Crimson Sprinter tomato,
7 Chadwick cherry tomato,
7 Fox cherry tomato,
6 Maglia Rosa cherry tomato, 
6 pimientos de padrón, 
5 Red House Free Standing tomato,
4 Garden sage,
1 Dukat dill.

In 2.5" square peat pots on the second shelf are the tiny herbs:  4 each of the tarragon and marjoram.

 

I decided that I should probably let them grow a little taller before I put them up on the top shelf since the light fixture is so much higher there.  They are currently being illuminated by one of the two 2' T5 bulbs that had previously been lighting the second shelf of the old greenhouse.  I combined the six slots of cilantro into a single large clay pot and placed them in the kitchen by a window that receives direct sun for several hours every morning.

The new greenhouse structure is really fantastic.  I love having so much more space.  I can really get my head into the grow space and interact with the plants more.  Watering is also now much easier, as I have plenty of space to manuever a watering can.


With more space has come my first bug as well, a gnat.  As the warmest and moistest place in the house, I'm actually surprised that more bugs haven't found their way in.  

Tonight I used velcro to install some basic flaps in the plastic sheeting wrapped around the structure.  My next goal with the greenhouse is to set-up a few fans for air circulation and ventilation on the top (grow) shelf.  

On the germinating shelf, I've already started my next batch of seeds.  Before the move to the new greenhouse, I had reseeded the Dukat dill to make up for the yield of only one plant from before.  I don't know why, but they seem to have germinated much better this time around.

Dukat dill sprouts:

To replace the rest of the transplanted herbs, I've planted more Garden sage, tarragon, Syriaca Zaatar marjoram, and a new type of sweet basil from Seeds of Change called Fino Verde.  I think that the sweet basil seeds that I planted from Ferry-Morse had fusarium disease.  They all grew to about the same height and then suddenly became brown, wilted, and died.  I'm hoping to have better luck with the Fino Verde.

Wilty sweet basil next to healthy sweet basil that has since turned wilty, brown, dead:

I've also ordered from Renee's Garden the herbs that were no longer available from Seeds of Change, namely: True Greek Oregano, French Rosemary, French Thyme, and some Heirloom Pepperbox Poppy.  I think that poppies are so pretty, and apparently the pods are "handsome" and the "nutty-tasting seeds" can be used for cooking and baking, while the pods can be kept for beautiful decoration.  I can't wait.

Thanks for the transplant assistance, guest gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment