28.11.09

velcro is better, but not best

So I failed in my attempt today to purchase a 5' zipper. Apparently not all craft stores sell fabrics and at Michael's I could only find replacement zippers for pants. I got some velcro stick pads instead, which, while an improvement to cheapo packing tape, is definitely less than ideal as there isn't really enough extra plastic sheet to make a tight seal from top to bottom. Tomorrow I'll head to a fabric store and hopefully be able to track down ridiculously long zippers and put the finishing touches on the greenhouse structure itself.

I still need to research the T5 lights a little more. I'm hoping to put in an order for those tomorrow as well. Meanwhile, my grow bulb is baking my basil seeds. I'm worried that they may be getting too dried out even though I've been misting them several times a day. My greenhouse's first official residents are: Ferry-Morse Dark Opal Purple Basil and Sweet Basil. The package says that they germinate in 5-10 days, and I think I planted them about a week ago. I'd imagine I should probably start to see something happening over this next week if the grow bulb hasn't destroyed them.

I received confirmation of my order today from Seeds of Change. Arriving in 4-10 days will be:

1 PACK, CILANTRO, SLOW BOLT (SANTO CILANTRO)
1 PACK, TARRAGON, MEXICAN (SWEET MACE)
1 PACK, TOMATO, CHERRY, CHADWICK
1 PACK, TOMATO, CHERRY, FOX
1 PACK, TOMATO, CHERRY, MAGLIA ROSA
1 PACK, TOMATO, CRIMSON SPRINTER
1 PACK, TOMATO, SLICING, OREGON SPRING BUSH
1 PACK, TOMATO, SLICING, RED HOUSE FREE STANDING
1 PACK, TOMATO, SLICING, SANTIAM
1 PACK, HERBES DE PROVENCE WITH A TWIST SEED COLLECT
1 PACK, BASIL, FINO VERDE

The Herbes de Provence collection contains some old favorites with some new herbs that I've never cooked with before (or even tasted, I think). It includes one pack each of Brussels Winter Chervil, Mubstead English Lavender, Loveage, Greek Oregano, Rosemary Garden Sage, Summer Savory, English Thyme, and Sweet Marjoram. I'm really excited to see how they turn out and even find some new recipes to put them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment