28.11.09

greenhouse begun

So I've begun my indoor greenhouse project and have already run into a few problems. The structure itself has come together quite nicely, but the lighting options have tripped me up. I was originally planning on two fluorescent lights positioned vertically on opposite sides and ends of the storage shelf structure, but then there were so many choices and limitations (the simultaneity of which was the real problem). There are lots of different types of fluorescent bulbs of different sizes, shapes, and efficiencies, and so the task was to find two efficient (T5 or T8) grow bulbs (plant or aquarium) around 2' or so in length hopefully with matching fixtures in an adjacent aisle. It proved difficult to satisfy these constraints at Lowe's, Home Depot, and PetCo. Although I think I had the option of buying expensive (>$100) versions in one or more of these locations.

My initial purchase was two 4' T12 bulbs + fixtures at Lowe's, but it wasn't until I got them home and started assembly that I realized that they were lacking power cables. Researching on the interweb about the power needs of the T12 bulbs got me thinking that I might want to switch instead to the T8's. When I returned to Lowe's to investigate my powering options, I was really disappointed at the mix and match availability of bulbs and fixtures (and they have moved all their gardening seeds to an undisclosed location until spring.....). Making the short drive to Home Despot yielded only slightly better results. They too have retired their seeds, but they were sporting the sexy T5 bulbs that I didn't even know existed. Thinner and more efficient than even the T8's, the T5 seems like the way to go for my indoor greenhouse, but they also didn't have the sizes and coatings that I needed.

I still don't really understand what the difference is between the plant/aquarium bulbs vs the "cool white", etc bulbs. What I've read so far suggests that plants really need visible light and that they respond differently to visible light that is narrowband and centered around different wavelengths, but I still don't have a good handle on what type of light my greenhouse will really need. Right now, I just have an incandescent grow lamp (that I purchased last year when our sunflower seedlings were suffering) pointed at my tray of germinating basil seeds. I think it's probably contributing mostly heat at this point, which according to what I've read about germination is the second most important thing after water.

I've been looking into the T5 bulbs more online and it looks like I can buy two 2' bulbs with metal reflector fixtures for $45 a piece. I don't want to buy from the first site I find, but still, it's encouraging. Probably going to place an order for something along those lines in the next few days. It's not really essential until the basil's sprouted.

So, tomorrow I return the unnecessary purchased items from Lowe's (two 4' aquarium bulbs + fixtures and a bulb starter kit) and go buy a zipper for the door. I tried today to get a heater pad for the seeds from PetCo, but all they had was one for a 50 gallon terrarium and I think that that would've roasted them for sure.

I've ordered some seeds (since they are apparently out of season locally...): two types of cherry tomato, one roma, four different "slicing tomato" types, and some herbs, all from Seeds of Change. If I end up planting even half the stuff I want to, I'm going to need to double the size of my greenhouse (fine by me).

No comments:

Post a Comment