28.1.10

happy cilantro and transplanting soon

This morning I raised the light fixtures on both shelves again.  The general recommendation for mounting is ~3" above the tallest plants.  The tomato plants are growing taller and taller in spite of their discolored leaves and the purple opal basil seemed to be showing some signs of photobleaching, so I decided to raise up the fixtures another inch or so.

The cilantro on the shelf is doing fantastic.  I'm really pleased that this idea seems to be working out so well.


The Greenhouse Gardener's Companion says that it's generally a good idea to transplant seedlings from their tray to a larger pot when they have produced 3-4 leaves.  The garden sage, pimientos de padrón, basil, syriaca zaatar marjoram, cilantro, tarragon, and the tomatoes have all reached this point, so this weekend they will all get new larger pots.  This means I will also need to fashion a new greenhouse structure to contain these new pots and purchase the new light fixture that will illuminate them.  I'm really excited about transplanting the seedlings.  I like to think that a larger pot and fresh soil will do them all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment